Friday, September 16, 2016

Painting ochre Plaguebearers

Another go at a squad of Plaguebearers. This time, I'll use an ochre-yellow paint scheme, for a more rotten effect.



Rotten flesh


Basecoat in ochre, then generous green wash; followed up by edge highlighting with skin tone.



Body details: guts, boils, pustules

Guts


Basecoat the innards with bonewhite.


Then apply a dark red wash. The wash had originally been lighter, giving a fresh, almost living appearance; but that was not what I was looking for, so I darkened gore red with black and applied another layer of wash.


Pustules


Apply the red wash around the pustules and pimples, too. Then pick out the tops with yellow.



In case of these larger pimples, where the red shines through the yellow, apply a second highlight, this time on a smaller area.


Mouths and eyes


I chose dark violet for a disturbing look.


Pink highlights


Minimal edge highlight with pink on the innards. Very thin coat of edge highlight on the tongues.


Other details


Trophy, banner, instrument


Similarly to the other squads, I painted the straps and wood with brown, and the shrunken heads with bonewhite. I chose a different look for the banner, so I painted the large surface in gunmetal, then partially changed my mind and coated the bells and the spikes on the bottom of the shaft in bronze. Applied black wash generously.


Edge highlight with same colors.


Then edge highlight the leather straps with leather brown.


I have some pigments lying around since forever, so I figured I'd try out the brown rust on the banner.


It got out of hand, so I followed up with a gunmetal drybrush to bring back some shine. I tried out the other pigment, black smoke, on the bells. They sure looked filthy after that - just as I hoped.



Another layer of rust pigment, this time concentrated in the holes and crevices.


And a final edge highlight on the right edges of the holes and crevices, this time with a bright silver.




Swords

Apply rust pigment generously.



 I drybrushed this sword with bronze before applying the pigment. Not much of it is visible.


But a slight bronze drybrush after the pigment had dried is perfect to highlight the raised edges.


Bases

Start as usual by filling in the middle of the washer with home made putty. This results in small elevations on the base. 



Paint the base as well as the putty in a base color - dark brown in this case - so that white won't shine through the flocking.


Apply PVA glue and the soil-type flocking.


Make sure the excess flocking has fallen off, then apply the grass.


I now had the impression that the dried grass by itself looks bland, so I applied some extra blue moss. It looks dead enough to be associated with the Plaguebearers. Just make sure that it sticks properly. I applied thicker PVA glue where the moss meets the grass, then sprinkled on more grass to cover up the glue.


Finally, seal the base.


Finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment