Sunday, December 13, 2015

Cheap flocking sealant on miniature bases

I have previously tried out non-spray varnish as sealant. It worked well on stones/coal (check out the Bloodletters), but I don't like how it dries into a paste on grass and such. Researching on the internet, I came upon a cheap alternative to spray-on sealants: PVA glue (a.k.a. wood glue, Elmer's glue, or as we call it, 'aracet').

Now, this type of glue is a thick white paste. To be used as a sealant, it needs to be watered down to a fluid consistency - 2-to-1 or even 3-to-1 water-to-glue, depending on what you have. You should get a milky liquid, such as the one I'm dipping my paintbrush in:


Use an old, preferably bigger brush. As long as you wash the glue out of the brush, nothing should happen to it, but just in case, use something that you don't care about.
Now, apply the fluid to the base of the miniature (in our case, it has been flocked with sand). It should look milky, like this:


In case your painter-self is now screaming DON'T DO THAT YOU'RE RUINING IT, try it out on, again, something you don't care about as much. Trust me on this one.


Spread it around; don't let it pool. Ideally, you will have a thin coat covering the whole base.

Then just let it dry. This might take a while. In the end, you will have a transparent coat protecting your base.




Update. This is actually better than I thought it would be!

I tried it out on a model with grass on its base, and it was initially as paste-y as varnish. However, after some time drying, it solidified and became transparent.



Moreover, I read that this glue also seals wood pretty well, filling all the surface pores and whatnot. It will be perfect for my upcoming project: home-made movement trays.

No comments:

Post a Comment