Saturday, December 31, 2016

Painting elf archers

Introduction


While painting the elf druid, I decided to get all the lively green out of the way, so I also started working on the rest of the elves from the  Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers board game.



Prime


Prime in black.


Painting


Basecoat


Green basecoat for the cloth areas: capes, pants, trousers.


Brown basecoat for all the wood, leather and skin areas (everything else).


Skintone for the faces. Leather brown to pick out some details. On the quivers I just painted over the sculpted details. On the pieces of armor, I applied a thick edge highlight.


Bonewhite arrows.


Lastly, for the two guys without hoods, ochre hair.


Washes


I applied what I learned on the female elf archer and gave a sepia wash (Seraphim Sepia) to the green areas for some soft shadows.


Black wash on the arrows and the armored skirts. Basically any area that won't get a brown wash later on.


Fleshtone wash (Reikland Fleshshade) on the faces.


Brown wash (Agrax Earthshade) over the remaining leather and wood areas.


Highlights


In retrospect I wasn't completely happy with the way the sepia wash affected the green cloak of the female elf, so I decided to try out some edge highlighting to increase contrast. I think it looks much better now.


Carefully edge highlight the face and the bonewhite arrow fletching.


Overbrush the hair with yellow. This gives it a blonde aspect.


Thin edge highlight with leather brown the areas that were painted with the same in the basecoating phase.


To pop out the details of the armor/skirt, I applied dots of brown to the center of each individual segment. A little time consuming, but it always pays off.


Basing


I decided to modify a bit my woodland basing technique (again). This time I settled halfway between the original look and the wildflowers on the base of the druid.

Start with the soil/grass combination.



Then apply the ornaments. I gave the bases a mix of bushes created from flocking using PVA glue, out-of-the-box artificial bushes, and wildflowers.


Finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment