Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Painting a Soldier with torch

Introduction

The second figure painted for one of my RPG (MAGUS) groups. He will be used as a warrior firemage (hence the torch).


Planning phase

Look closely to discover that his figure has the same torso and legs as the knight. Also lots of leather and metal. To make him different (and to keep the theme of the character he will be used as), I decided to go with red clothes, and a green helmet plume for contrast.

Painting

With such a dark and metallic color scheme, I went for a black primer.


Apply basecoat first: gunmetal, dark brown, skintone.



Dark red on clothes and torch, dark green on the plume. Bronze for some metallic details. Grey torches.


Generous overall black wash:




Highlight the metals first, using the same techniques as for the Knight. Start with a wide edge higlight with gunmetal:



Then follow up with a thin edge of silver. Don't forget the bronze details either.



Work on the reds next. On both the clothes and the torch I applied lighter red (blood red) and orange, but I went for edge highlighting on the clothes, and a blend of colors on the torch.


I picked out the tips of the flames with yellow on the torch:


Edge highlight the skin and pick out the eyes with white (I must admit I am not completely satisfied here, but considering that I don't usually paint eyes with irises for my demons, I think it went well enough).
Drybrush dark green, then light green on the plume.
Pick out the leather and wood details with dark brown and/or leather brown drybrush (same as for the Knight).




Basing

I applied the same technique as for the Knight. Indeed, I did the two of them simultaneously.








Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment