Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Painting a Knight

Introduction

The first figure painted for one of my RPG (MAGUS) groups.


Planning phase

Not much to plan, as this guy is mostly metal and leather. I did plan for blue pants, bronze highlights and cobblestone base.

Painting

With such a dark and metallic color scheme, I went for a black primer.


Then laid on the basecoat: dark brown, gunmetal, dark blue.



Then, the second layer of basecoat, with the bronze details picked out, as well as some belt buckles.


A generous black wash pops out the details, including that awesome chainmail.


And then, I can get to highlighting. First, a small edge highlight on the bronze details. Then, a wider "edge" highlight with gunmetal, followed up by a thinner edge with silver.   


A very thin highlight with the same skintone as the basecoat picks out the fingers.


I used a combination of dark brown and leather brown to edge highlight the leather-y details: boots, bags, straps, backpack, waterskin. I tried to mix dark brown with red for a reddish wood color, but wasn't satisfied with the result, so I did a drybrush with dark brown followed by a very light leather brown on the shield and axe handles.
I edge highlighted the pants with a lighter blue.


Basing

I followed this excellent cobblestone tutorial using leftover sprues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnrFsUg2aEI

I mutilated the figure's base so I can fit cobblestone in between his legs.


Then, I started producing the cobblestones, and super gluing them on the base, like so:


Of course, the figure wasn't exactly a snug fit, and I didn't want holes in the base, so I applied some green stuff underneath.


The cobblestone effect I went with (as opposed to the colored tiles of the tutorial) was of simple grey stone. Black primer:


Dark grey drybrush:


Light grey drybrush (do the same to the figure's mutilated metal base, so it would fit in):



Glue the knight in his place:


Then clean up the base by painting the rim black, to cover up the grey drybrush.

Finished!








No comments:

Post a Comment