Friday, July 10, 2015

Magnetized weapon arms

Introduction


In Warhammer 40k (and, to a lesser extent, in Warhamer Fantasy), there are many models with multiple weapon options or other upgrades that are visible on the model. Of course, you can always just glue on the best looking one, and then proxy an axe as a sword (or the other way around). However, there are several reasons why you would like to go WYSIWYG on your models. It might be required by a tournament or a gaming club, or maybe you just like to get things done right and proper.

Magnetizing large models

The bigger, the better - it's a lot easier to magnetize large things. Take the Soul Grinder as an example.

Soul Grinder

The Soul Grinder can hold a sword in its right hand, or it can have a huge claw instead of a hand. Obviously, the sword is the default choice in Fantasy, and the claw is the default in 40k.
I’ve glued a magnet to each hand option, and another on the arm, such that it would be as close as possible to the magnet on the mounted hand. The magnets don’t actually touch, but they attract each other with enough force such that the mounted hand does not fall off.  The model is large enough to use my 5mm magnets - the same ones used for the magnetized bases.
 You can't really tell the difference between the magnetized right hand and the glued-on but ill-fitting left arm.

Magnetizing small models

This is where things get mucky.
Magnets can no longer be just glued on anywhere; you need to drill holes to fit them (and you probably need small magnets). So here's some tools that come in handy:
A battery operated drill is excellent. However, the smallest drill head I could find for mine was 3mm thick. So I bought a 1mm thick drill head, and used it manually, by twisting and pushing it with my fingers. It goes surprisingly well; however, my fingers tend to hurt after long work hours.

Magnetize Space Marine hands

I got a squad of 5 Chaos Marines. I decided to magnetize the champion for WYSIWYG weapon options.
Tools: 1mm drill, 1mm magnets.
I have already prepared all the pieces. I've got a hand holding a bolter and an arm holding a sword. I cut the hand off the bolter and the arm off the sword hand using the hobby knife.
Use the 1mm drill to make the small holes, then put magnets in them. Everything is so small, I didn't even use glue directly from the tube; instead, I pushed out a small amount on a piece of cardboard, then used a tooth pick to put some glue into the holes, before pushing the magnets in.
There was no way I could take a picture of the work in progress, as superglue dries quickly. Here's the end result:
And here's the guy holding his new toys:



No comments:

Post a Comment