Saturday, July 4, 2015

Green stuff: first encounter

Introduction

Ever since I've bought my headless Bloodletters from ebay, I've been waiting for the chance to try out some green stuff. (Don't know what that is? Check out this page.) I obviously didn't want to try full-on sculpting for the first time, so I decided to rather use it as a filler for small gaps on some miniatures.
Here are the first three uses I've found for it:

1. Filling the gaps made by cutting mistakes

Problem: I've got a half-way assembled Blood Throne in my workspace. (I want to build it using magnets, so that I can also use it as a Skullcannon, but more on that when I finish it.) While cutting the pieces off the sprue and cleaning them with my hobby knife, I made a mistake and cut to much off of one piece. When assembled, this left an ugly gap.
Solution: when putting the damaged piece into place, use a bit of green stuff instead of glue. With just the right amount, it will fill in the gap without overflowing (although you could just trim it off). It is also a really strong adhesive, so you don't have to worry about the piece falling off.


2. Filling the gaps made by kitbashing

Problem: At the beginning of my Warhammer adventures, I bought a box of Chaos Warhounds to use as proxies for Flesh Hounds of Khorne. I decided to kitbash one of them to produce a suitable proxy to use as Karanak (the three-headed Flesh Hound character). Now, the warhound models are pretty simple - easy to assemble, but prohibitive against conversions. I couldn't produce a three-headed model, so I decided to just stick some additional pieces on it from a Chaos Spawn box - specifically, a large tail with poisonous barbs and some Khornate headgear. The tail was easy to glue on - the places where it doesn't exactly fit are obscured by the rear legs. For the decoration on the head, I scraped off a piece of the hound's head until I produced a reasonably flat surface. Then I proceeded to cut off  the lower part of the additional head piece, until it looked like a tiny skull embedded into a Khornate symbol. I glued it on using a generous amount of glue, but there was still a large gap in-between.
Solution: I strained and tensed the headpiece until it came off. As above, I applied a piece of green stuff on the surface where it goes, then stuck it back in place. I used more this time, so that in the front, I had a round surface. I used my hobby knife to carve some curves on it - I will try to paint it black, and make it look like part of the hound's fur.
(Note. The hound is now partially painted. Unfortunately, I painted it before realizing that I need to cover up the gap. I'll do a post on it when I'll finish the job.)


3. Filling random gaps

Problem: I traded some Magic: the Gathering cards for a 5-man squad of Chaos Marines. Nifty, isn't it? They were partially assembled (as in, they've fallen apart) and a hand was missing, but it was still a bargain. When gluing them back together, I noticed that, on two models, the waists weren't fitting perfectly. I don't know whether they are faulty casts, or maybe I just didn't do a proper job of scraping off the old glue. In either case, both models presented a visible gap just above the waistline.
Solution: Rub a tiny piece of green stuff between your fingers until you produce a long, thin piece. Place it along the edge of the flat surface where the waist of the miniature joins the upper body. Place the upper body in place and press down. Finally, trim any excess green stuff with a hobby knife.



Things learned:

- Green stuff is really, really sticky. I read about this, but at first I disregarded the warnings and went ahead. It kept sticking to my fingers and my tools. The solution is to keep some water close-by, and wet your fingers and tools before touching the green stuff. It will only stick to dry surfaces.
- Very little green stuff is enough for a lot of things. I chipped of a tiny piece, kneaded it together, and I used it for everything described above, but still had half of it left. I slapped it into the freezer along with the rest of the stuff - don't know how that turned out yet.

Next steps: sculpting!

No, really. I have some Flesh Hounds missing legs and some Flamers missing hands. Also, there are some unfortunate Daemonettes with broken limbs due to the vigorous scrubbing applied when removing the paint off them. I can't wait to fix them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment