Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Painting competition, 02.06.2015

Another friendly painting competition at our local gaming store (again, Checkpoint, go check them out).

This time, we had to paint a larger miniature as opposed to a squad of infantrymen. Sadly, there were only three entries: a Necron flyer, an Ultramarine Land Raider, and my Daemon Prince. Nevertheless, we had a good time, despite all the hurdles.
First of all, while we were waiting for possibly more contestants to arrive, I was busy playing a game of Warhammer 40k: Chaos Daemons vs Blood Angels, 02.06.2015. My Daemon Prince was, of course, part of my army list - but he had to stand beside the other entries for the competition. So I used his empty base in the game, with the agreement of my opponent, of course. With the game dragging on, we took a break to let the competition end, and allow the judge - Raul, the shopkeeper - to cast his judgement.
As you can guess, I was fairly hurried. Closing time for the shop was approaching, and I still had an impatient opponent deal with. This is the only explanation for the lack of pictures.

This is, in fact, the only picture that I have taken:


However, I have later acquired a picture of the Necron flier:



With such a tiny field, someone had to take third place. In our case, it was the Land Raider. Its guns and exhausts were nicely done, and I especially liked the battle damage and the mud on its tracks. However, the judge blamed the lack of highlights on the flat surfaces, and the unexpected (and kind of out-of-place) jungle camouflage-y green patches.
My Daemon Prince came second. The organic look and feel was much appreciated; however, the highlights weren't crisp enough. I tried my hand at some fairly advanced techniques (simulating the weapon as a light source) - but I still have much to practice. If you're interested, take a look at this article: Painting a Daemon Prince.
This places the Necron engine first. Its simple, but crisp and clean paint scheme is clearly augmented by well defined highlights - not much to add there.


Finally, we have received our well-earned rewards. We opened two boxes of miniatures - harlequins and plague marines - and took our pick, starting with the winner. I was lucky to grab 4 plague marines (not really interested in eldar), and run back to my ongoing game.

... and I can't wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment